I did a little selfish sewing last week. Finally caught a tiny respite from the great baby making of 2017 😉 JK I love that all of you are having babies because baby stuff is my favorite kind of crafts to make. However, I had another 1940s ball to attend so instead of buying my dress this year I decided to make one that was more traditional (less ‘retro’ stereotypical). This is the Original 1947 Design of Vogue V9126 Dress Pattern. Available at Vogue Patterns or Joanns. I picked up this pattern for $5 on one of the ‘sale days’ at Joanns.
I know that Joann’s is sort of the anti-craft movement for a lot of people. I happen to find it really convenient, affordable and they do have a pretty nice selection of fabric, yarn, supplies. Plus and this is why it’s so hard to say no to Joann’s they always have a coupon(s) to use.
But I digress. I found the pattern and the Fabric (50% off that) at Joanns and decided to make this for the ball.
Specs on Time/Cost
- Total Time: 7 hours including finishing
- Toal cost: $45
- Gütermann Polyester Thread – CA 02776
- Bright Red Tropical Hawaiian Chiffon Fabric (4 yards)
- Fusible Interfacing
- V9126 Pattern from Vogue Reproductions Collection
Random Comments about pattern:
- The collar took quite some mulling over. It was not easy to create shape for that just from ‘folding it over.’ I ended up hand sewing the lapels to each other in the front to give it the shape I wanted.
- The waist was too small for only a short bodice zipper – I had to let out the waist by 3 inches to get the waist over my shoulders (I’m not that big there). If I make this again I will put in a zipper that extends down thru the waist so that I can just zip it up and keep the shape once on.
- Bust was taken in considerably. I used the 36in bust – (I’m a 34in) and it was like a burlap sack – I ended up taking in the pleats so significantly it was starting to distort the shape on the bodice. If I make this again I will use smaller bodice all together and then gather skirt in back if necessary.
Anyways enough of my bemoaning about having a small bust and big shoulders 😉
All and all it was a super fun, cute dress. I’ll be making more in the future!